Each year, New Year’s Day marks a new beginning, leaving behind the good, bad, and ugly from the previous year while preparing for what’s to come. Although you might be tempted to lay low and relax after bringing in the New Year with a bang, New Year’s Day is also a time to get a head start on your new beginning. Maybe you want to take steps towards fulfilling your New Year’s Resolution, do some cooking and meal prepping, organize some areas in your home, or take advantage of New Year’s Day sales.
New Year’s Day 2023 is on a Sunday, so businesses that are normally closed on Sundays won’t be open. Independent restaurants are hit or miss, and whether they are open could depend on whether they had a huge bash or event on New Year’s Eve. As far as grocery stores, large retail chains, and national restaurant chains, most are open. However, some have limited hours.
Photo courtesy of Mark Zanzig via Unsplash
We’ve rounded up this list of Wisconsin businesses that are open on New Year’s Day 2023, but we still encourage you to call ahead to make sure, so you don’t make a wasted trip.
National Retail Stores Open in Wisconsin on New Year’s Day
- Barnes & Noble: Hours vary with each location, but most are open at 10 or 11 a.m. and stay open until 7 or 8 p.m.
- Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas: Richfield, Prairie du Chien, Ashwaubenon, and Sun Prairie. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Richfield store opens at 9 a.m.
- Bed, Bath & Beyond: Regular hours from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Regular hours from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. in most locations
- Home Depot: Most open late at 9 a.m. and close at 8 p.m., but hours can vary by location. Call ahead to your local store to confirm hours.
- HomeGoods: Regular hours, which vary by location.
- Ikea, Oak Creek: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Kohl’s: Regular hours in most locations, but might open and close later, call ahead to confirm.
- Macy’s: Open, but hours coincide with mall hours, which vary by location.
- Marshalls/TJ Maxx: open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Petco: Regular hours 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- PetSmart: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Target: Regular hours, vary by location
- Walmart: Regular hours, vary by location
National Restaurant Chains Open in Wisconsin on New Year’s Day
When you are out and about shopping on New Year’s Day, you might want to grab a cup of coffee, lunch, or even grab a quick dinner. Check with your favorite local restaurant, coffee shop, bar, or another establishment to see if they are open. However, if your favorites are closed so owners/employers can spend time with their families, you will find various national restaurant chains open in Wisconsin on New Year’s Day. Also, all fast food chains—McDonald’s, Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy’s, etc.—are open on New Year’s Day. But, they are franchises, so you might run into some varied hours.
Brunching with Friends, photo courtesy of Ali Inay via Unsplash
- Applebee’s: Hours vary by location.
- Bonefish Grill: Madison and Brookfield,11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Boston Market: Glendale, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Open 11 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: Open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at most locations
- Caribou Coffee: Open regular hours, vary by location
- The Cheesecake Factory: Wauwatosa, Madison, Glendale, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Chili’s: Open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Cracker Barrel: Open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Denny’s: Open 24 hours
- Domino’s: 10:30 a.m. to midnight at most locations
- Dunkin’: Hours vary by location, some might open as early as 4 or 5 a.m., but most should be open for coffee, donuts, and a quick bite by 7 a.m.
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse: Milwaukee/Brookfield, 4 to 9 p.m.
- IHOP: Regular hours, vary by location
- Olive Garden: Open regular hours from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Outback Steakhouse: Open regular hours from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Panda Express: Open regular hours, vary by location
- Panera Bread: Open regular hours 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Starbucks: Open regular hours, vary by location
- TGI Friday’s: Open regular hours 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.
- Wahlburgers: Open regular hours, vary by location.
Pharmacies Open in Wisconsin on New Year’s Day
You’ll find CVS and Walgreens open on New Year’s Day 2023 in Wisconsin, like other Sundays. However, you might not be able to get prescriptions filled. You need to call ahead and check for pharmacy hours. You can, however, grab anything else you need and find over-the-counter medications and other things you typically buy at your local drugstore.
Scott Walker’s signature attack on public education and unions has withstood past challenges. New lawsuit is based on the state constitution’s...
State Senators Dianne Hesselbein, Kelda Roys, and Jeff Smith will ask their colleagues for support in an election as early as next week. First from...
Setting a budget and making a shopping list (and sticking to both!) are the top two ways to save money during the holiday season, according to...
Wisconsin grocery stores are as busy as they get this time of year, but avoiding the crowds is easy… if you know when to go! TIP: Google Maps has a...